How to make a box to put cards in! 1/16″ Rule of Box Making

How to make a box to put cards in!  1/16" Rule of Box Making

Take this tutorial with you! Click here to download the PDF.

It’s the time of year again…the school year is coming to a close.  My little girls have two days left and that means I need some teacher gifts!

A couple weeks ago I went through and sorted TONS of cards and got them ready for gift giving. But what to give them IN? That’s where my 1/16″ Rule of Box Making comes in!

View the video to see how I figured out the size of my box, how to cut the paper, how to score and how to put this great gift-giving box together.

How to make a box to put cards in!  1/16" Rule of Box Making

You can download this entire tutorial immediately as a PDF, just click here.

• Top of the box:  8-9/16″ x 9-13/16″ – score at 2″ on all four sides
  • Bottom of the box: 8-1/2 x 9-3/4 – score at 2″ on all four sides
  • The top is always 1/16″ BIGGER than the bottom.
  • Score on all four sides the same measurement and your box will fit together perfectly every time!

How to make a box to put cards in!  1/16" Rule of Box Making

If you like box making, please visit THIS POST to see another box using this same idea!

Thank you for visiting today and if you like this post, please use your favorite social networking button below to share it.  I am forever grateful for my friends that refer me!

• Kina May 29, 2013, 10:53 pm

Great tip!

• kim fee May 30, 2013, 5:32 am

Brilliant Thank you Catherine…

• tesa May 30, 2013, 5:47 am

Thanks for another great tutorial!

• Catherine May 30, 2013, 8:59 am

So glad you like it! I hope you are inspired and will make some, too!

• Traci Lord May 30, 2013, 4:28 pm

You always are so helpful Catherine! Tfs! Do you think you could do a video on one that will just accommodate 5 cards? I usually just do a gift package of 5 myself. Thanks so much! Hugs Traci

• Angelica "Bibi" Leak May 30, 2013, 5:54 pm

AH, Brilliant as always Catherine. Love this video, sure simplified things for me when it comes to making boxes. Now, off to see what is going on with my sistahs at StampNation. Thanks for all the great additions over there.Its so great to just visit with everyone. :-)

• Catherine May 31, 2013, 9:55 am

Thank you so much for your comment, Traci!
    I can put that on my list of videos to make. In the meantime, I would just take 1″ off the card stock measurement…so cut the card stock 1″ smaller and score at 1″ instead of two.

Bibi, it IS great to visit with our sistahs, right? :)

• Katrina May 31, 2013, 10:42 am

Thank you so much for this video. The timing was perfect. I am donating cards to an auction and had them in a gift bag and it just wasn’t doing it for me, this is way cuter!

• Janice ormiston June 1, 2013, 1:15 am

I used your idea and made a box with cards for my coworkers birthday last night. And she absolutely loved it and it was do simple to make. Thanks for the amazing video and idea

• Marge Holloway June 5, 2013, 9:59 pm

Thanks for this wonderful tortorial. Want to make some boxes now.
    I appreciate all your tortorials.

• Cecilia June 5, 2013, 10:03 pm

Now is easier to make boxes!! Thanks Catherine

• REBECA HERNANDEZ June 6, 2013, 12:50 am

Of course I love it! Great idea…. Thank you so much for sharing!

• Carolina F. June 6, 2013, 1:33 am

• Mandy M June 6, 2013, 4:14 am

I always enjoy looking at Catherine’s videos. This is another great idea. Thank you. Mx

• Gloria Taylor June 6, 2013, 11:46 am

Catherine, thank you so much for showing us how to make these boxes. I am going to practice making them so I too can show a group of ladies (which we meet once a month). We each need to participate in sharing projects. This idea is a GREAT ONE because who doesn’t love to receive homemade cards, thanks. Awesome as always!

• Robbye June 6, 2013, 12:04 pm

Love your tutorials, I always learn so much.

• Sonja Gaedener June 6, 2013, 12:19 pm

Love this video. I have learned so much by watching your videos. Thank you so much. Keep them comming xx

• BeverlyBL June 6, 2013, 3:13 pm

These are so cute and so quick and easy. Loved the tip in the comments on the smaller (Dove chocolate) box about holding the corners in place with clothespins. That works great.

My tip of the day is to use alcohol based hand sanitizer to get that sticky Tombow glue residue off your hands.

Thanks again for all your great tips and videos.

• BeverlyBL June 6, 2013, 3:28 pm

Traci – I’m thinking you have to take 2″ off and score at 1 inch all around.

So your numbers would be bottom: 7 3/4″ X 6 1/2″
    Top would be: 7 13/16″ X 6 9/16″

I hope.

• Catherine June 6, 2013, 3:36 pm

Thank you for popping in here, Beverly! I have that on my list of tutorials to put together as well.

Great tip about the rubbing alcohol!

• R June 6, 2013, 5:39 pm

Perfect timing! My sister just had me make 15 cards (with envelopes) as a gift for her daughter in law. She asked for a handmade box and I was at a loss!
    Thanks :)

• Beda June 6, 2013, 9:20 pm

Love the idea! You are really so talented. Thanks!

• Catherine June 6, 2013, 9:36 pm

That IS perfect timing, so glad I could help. Seems like this was timely for a lot of people. Fabulous!
    Thank you, Beda, I appreciate that.

• JanLee June 7, 2013, 4:44 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial, you always explain things so well. I want to give cards away as a baby shower prizes and this will work nicely.

• Bonnie June 9, 2013, 2:04 am

Great video!!!!!! So clear and helpful. Got it! Thanks so much. I can’t wait to make boxes..

• Jenny June 9, 2013, 10:41 am

Very cool! thanks for explaining how you got the measurements. I can now use that same process to make a box for any sized cards…. 3×3; 4 1/4 x 4 1/4….

wonderful! you rock.

Jenny

• Cherie June 26, 2013, 6:09 pm

Hi, Just watched your video. Pretty neat. I don’t like to mess with tiny measurements so I made a shim for the edge of my score board out of clear window sheet. Thanks!

• Glenda July 3, 2013, 2:45 pm

In measuring the card for the box size, shouldn’t you measure the envelope as it’s bigger and won’t fit in the box.

• Catherine July 3, 2013, 3:44 pm

Thanks for your question, Glenda! You are right…make sure you make it big enough for the envelopes, too. When I make these boxes, I do not use the exact measurement of what is going in the box. I add a bit so they are jam-packed in there.
    The bottom of this box actually measures 4-1/2 x 5-3/4 giving enough room for envelopes, too.
    Hope that helps!

• Karilyn July 9, 2013, 11:32 am

SO much fun to make boxes- endless patterns & colors! Thanks!!

• tina July 17, 2013, 1:55 pm

I am interested in tips/advice on creating a good box that can be mailed with just one dimensional card in it, so it doesn’t get crushed in the mail, yet is a nicer visual presentation vs a manilla padded envelope.

• Mary Katherine September 3, 2013, 10:01 pm

I am super excited to make these boxes to go with card sets I am making for baby shower, birthday and Christmas gifts. Catherine, THANK YOU for making wonderful videos so clear, funny and easy to follow. I am thrilled I came across your tutorials and website. Happy Crafting!

• Ann Eales September 6, 2014, 12:06 pm

You make it so simple, thank you.

• Barbara Hines October 25, 2014, 7:22 am

I love watching your videos. Love the things you do!

• Sharon November 4, 2014, 8:09 pm

What a great idea for a gift – cards – in their own box! Awesome!

• lkingboyle November 15, 2014, 2:20 pm

Thank you Catherine! I have seen many boxes but they have all been very small. Thanks again, for a larger box!

Boxes Projects Videos

GET YOUR GUIDE: "THE TOP 10 THINGS EVERY STAMPER NEEDS TO KNOW"
(number 10 is my all-time favorite!)
Plus you’ll be added to my FREE mailing list to receive my best paper crafting tips and tricks that I only share in emails!

A year’s worth of inspiration!

craft room tour catherine pooler

Craft Room Tour and Organization Tips

Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 1.30.28 PM

A Very Trendy Holiday 2.0

Neon Pink Snowflakes Catherine Pooler

One Layer Masked Neon Snowflakes Card

neon snowflakes projects

Coming Next Week: Neon snowflakes!

perfect die cuts

How to die cut a stamped image perfectly every time!

purplesnowflakes2

Wrinkle Free Distress Purple Snowflakes and stretching your stamps!

Nov 6 challenge

StampNation is a buzz!

Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 2.43.51 PM

Q&A: How to Re-ink White, Stazon and Versamark Ink Pads

CF pink snowflakes 2

Ombre Pink Snowflake Trees background CAS-ual Fridays – video tutorial

Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 2.42.46 PM

Wrinkle Free Distress on Four Types of Cardstock with Catherine Pooler

trendy peeks

A Very Trendy Holiday 2.0 – make awesome cards this holiday season!

Masked, Stencils and Watercolored Holly Christmas Card

Masked, Stencils and Watercolored Holly Christmas Card

TrendyHoliday2014

A Very Trendy Holiday 2.0 is coming!

34HolidayCardsandTags